Windber (link)

Brief Historical Facts Concerning Winder, Pennsylvania

Killed in Action: In World War I, 185 Windber men took up arms to make the world safe for democracy. Seventy-eight were killed in action.

2,502 Served U.S.: In World War II, 2,502 men from the Windber area served in the armed forces. Eighty-seven were killed in action.

Military Mailmen: Probably the first "mailmen" in the Paint Creek Valley were the express riders that carried military information.

Early Postal Rates: The postal rates in the first postal service in the Paint Creek Valley was eight cents for a single sheet of paper for any distance under 40 miles. The maximum charge was 33 cents for over 500 miles.

Cure for Cold? Boiled beans mashed with garlic were a sure cure for coughs and colds in the Middle Ages.

First Councilmen: The first councilmen of Windber were J. C. Harding, John Lochrie, W. P. Kelly, A. G. Miller, A. M. Bloom, H. B. Burke and J. E. Seymore.

First Government: The Windber government under its charter consisted of a burgess, seven councilmen and a high constable.

Some Other Wagons: The Conestoga Wagon is well known but some others that closely resembled it are the "Chattanooga", "Carson" and the "Studebaker" wagons.

Railroad Organized: After the South Fork Dam caused the Johnstown Flood, the South Fork Railroad Co. was organized and started to build a railroad from South Fork to Dunlo, a distant of eight miles.

Important Road: The Shade Furnace Road from Shade through Sclap Level to Johnstown was an important route in the 1830s and ‘40s for transporting goods.

Trail From Blair: The Frankstown Trail crossed the Alleghenies from Frankstown near what is now Hollidaysburg and Duncansville and branched to Conemaugh Old Town or Kickanapolin’s Town now call Johnstown.

Thomas 1st Burgess: Herrick Thomas was elected as the first burgess of Windber.

Two Early Roads: The two main roads which connected the Juplaia Valley with the Stony Creek and Conemaugh Valleys in the early days were the Lower Path and the Frankstown Trail.

Had Funny Ideas: The early American settlers thought that typhoid fever was caused by night air, green apples, fear or intense thought.

Worth the Cure: Early treatment of smallpox included Indian sweat baths and whiskey.

Part of Charge: The Grace Lutheran Church of Rummel originally was a part of the Mt. Zion Evangelical Church of Scalp Level.

Built by Board: Windber Public School Building No. One was built by the Windber Board of Education. Members were Dr. 0. J. Shank, J. C. Begley, A. G. Bantley, Dr. H. L. Carlisle, C. E. Davies and J. W. A. Roley.

Director Elected: At the annual meeting of Windber National Bank, E. A. Delaney, chief engineer for Berwind-White Coal Mining Co., was elected a director to fill a vacancy created by the death of W. A. Crist of Johnstown, John R, Caldwell was named to succeed Mr. Crist as president, B. L. Simpson, former cashier, was elected vice president.

No Envelopes Used: In pioneer days, letters were not sent in envelopes. They were folded and sealed with wax and addressed on the back.

First Graduates: The members of the first graduating class of the Windber New Red Brick High School were Ruby Ducan, Ethel Miller, Eva Bell, Patience Williams, Sue Vickroy, Alice Tyler, Roy Sharpies and John Wrye.

Tummy Remedies: Bark was stripped from white walnut and quaking aspen trees by early colonists to make a tea for digestive troubles. Green "cones" from the cucumber tree also were recommended for stomach pains.

Rheumatism "Cure": The early settler treated rheumatism with goose grease seasoned with black pepper, vigorously rubbed on the afflicted parts.

Godel Was Chief: P. F. Godel was the first chief of police of Windber. He was followed by S. W, McMullen who served for 26 years.

Pioneer Mine: David Shaffer opened the first coal mine in the Windber area, it was located near what is now the corner of Cambria Avenue and 15th Street.

Real Company Town: The Berwind-White Coal Co. gave Windber its name and laid out the plans for the streets and avenues that replaced the lanes and cow paths of a former era.

Mines Productive: James Cunningham of the Berwind-White Co. established Eureka Mines 31 through 40 at Windber. They product more than 10,000 tons of coal per day.

Unusual Treatment: Early preventions for toothache included picking the teeth with a splinter from a lightning-struck tree. Or using the nail from the middle toe of an owl.

1700
Mail Service Slow: It took about four days to carry a letter from Philadelphia to Bedford in the later part of the century.

1701
Wreckage Cleared: Fires were used, to clear the wreckage along Shade Creek of the hurricane. Though successful, the ground was so baked that it was useless for cultivation and was known as “Fire Bake".

1755
The Lower Path: A path was cut to accommodate wagons to the top of the Alleghenies by James Burd. In 1758 it was extended across the mountains by General Forbes and was known as the Forbes Road.

1758
1st Priests in Area: Fathers Anheuser and Baron accompanied the French military expedition into Alleghenies, and were two of the first representatives of the Church in this section.

First Protestants: The Indian missionary Fredrick Post and Charles Beatly, who accompanied the Forbes expedition across the Alleghenies, were the first well-known Protestants to influence the settlers along Shade and Paint Creek Valleys.

1788
July 3: A postal service was established with a post rider arriving in Bedford every two weeks from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

1790
First Hand Loom: Perhaps the first hand weaving loom to be used in the Paint Creek Valley was brought here from Maryland by Philip Hoffman.

1807
Birth of Windber: H. Denman staked out the present town of Windber. Two homes and a one room school were the only buildings within the town's boundaries.

Church Built: The Ogletown Church of the Brethren was constructed and rebuilt in 1886.

First Team Formed: The Windber Independents won the National League Championship in basketball.

1808
November 6: Windber the Rev. F. F. Wriggle of the United Brethren Church in Christ prepared his first sermon.

Company Founded: The Babcock Lumber Co. was organized by a group of Pittsburgh businessmen who selected E. V. Babcock as president. The company had invested capital of more than $600,000.00 to buy more than 300,000,000 feet of standing lumber in Windber.

1812
Horses Were Out: Windber Fire Company purchased its first piece of motorized equipment, a hose and chemical truck. But it wasn't until 1918 that the company disposed of its horses and bought two pumpers.

1817
Big Five Victors: Windber's Big five carried off the Somerset County Basketball Tournament Championship.

1830
Minister Elected: Christian Lehman was elected first minister of the Shade Creek Congregation of the Church of the Brethren. It was 28 years later before a church was built.

1832
Father of Windber: James A. Cunningham, the advance agent in fluid operations for the Berwind-White Coal Mining Co., was called the Father of Windber.

1834
Allegheny Portage Railroad: It was completed connecting Hollidaysburg and Johnstown.

1840
Pack Horses Used: Pack horse trains were used to carry pig iron from Bedford County to the Mary Anne Forge near Windber.

1844
Lutherans Build: The Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Paint Borough began and built its first church in 1858.

1852
Railroad: The Pennsylvania Railroad over the Frankstown Trail was completed.

1858
Brethren First: The first church built in Shade Creek Valley was the Congregation of the Church of the Brethren. Joseph Berkey was the first pastor.

1867
Scalp Level: The Church of the Brethren was built and rebuilt in 1892.

1874

Church Built: The Rummel Church of the Brethren erected their first church.

1887

1st Company Store: Windber's first Eureka Store was completed and stocked. It was a development of the Berwind-White Coal Co.

1891
August 15: The South Fork Railroad Co. was opened and coal was shipped from the Yellow Run Shaft of the Berwind-White Coal Mining Co.

1896
July 30: Aaron Shaffer of Shade Township, Somerset County, whose home is between Hillsboro and Hooversville, on Tuesday, July 14, sold 280 acres of coal land to Edward J. Berwind for $4,000.00 cash, the deal being made by J. S. Cunningham of Tyrone, chief mining engineer for Mr. Berwind, who advised Mr. Shaffer to leave the money in the First National Bank of this city instead of taking it home, as be originally intended to do. He did so. On the following Sunday, while the family were away from home, robbers entered their residences, evidently expecting to secure the $4,000.00. The whole house was thoroughly ransacked, but the visitors did not secure any money nor did they take anything else.

1897
Railroad: The Scalp Level Railroad was started and extended from Sidman to the Windber Coat Field.

September 15: The first of the Berwind-White Coal Mines, Eureka Mine Number 30, was opened.

1898
Had Phones: The Salix Telephone Co. extended its line into Windber.

Had 5,000 Acres: The lumber company of James Curry and Son held about 5,000 acres of hemlock, pine and some hardwoods in the upper valley of Clear Shade Creek and Piney Run.

February 24: On Monday the Berwind-White Coal Mining Company expects to begin shipping coal from the third mine opened in the vicinity of Windber, the new town just beyond Scalp Level. This mine is located on the David J. Shaffer tract, upon which have been erected the P. R. R, freight station, the Berwind-White offices and the clubhouse. The fourth mine is being opened on the old Samuel Knavel tract, near Rummel, but it will not be ready for shipping coal for several months. Just at present there are 650 men on the company's payroll and file number is being increased every day, the daily shipments averaging 150 cars. An official says that in a short time Berwind-White Coal Mining Company will have in operation at Windber the largest and most complete soft coal mining plant in the world.

July 2: Architect George Wild of this city has completed plans for a four-room schoolhouse for Paint Twp. to be erected at Windber. Somerset County, before the opening of the term in the fall, Mr. Wild has also prepared sketches for a clubhouse to be erected on the David Shaffer property at Windber for the clerical force of the Berwind-White Coal Company.

1899

Church Built: The United Brethren Church was Windber's first church.

First Principal: J. J. Shaffer was elected the first principal of Windber Pub1ic School No. One.

1900
Erected: In this year the Windber New Red Brick High School was established.

Founding Pastor The Rev. Samuel Martin was the first minister of the Windber Presbyterian Church.

Had Wire Service: A branch office 0f Western Union Telegraph Co. was set up in Windber shortly after it was incorporated as a borough.

Stadium Built: The first stadium in Windber was built and was known as Dewey Field.

June 23: Windber’s first Catholic church was completed and named St. John Cahtlus' Church. The Rev, Father Kopera was the administrator.

August 5: Ground was broken on the new mile water line from Clear Shade in Windber and is rapidly approaching completion, it is not unlikely that Lowry & Black will have their part of the job finished, according to the contract, by mid - December. During the period, 150 to 200 men have been given employment on the project

August 19: The first United Evangelical Church in Windber with the Rev. S. M. Cousins as the first pastor.

1901
Firemen Athletes: >Windber track teams got their start when rival fire companies competed for cash prizes offered by leading citizens.

Basketball:Windber's first basketball team was organized.

1902
Gained Recognition The first baseball team in Windber was organized in 1902 and soon won recognition In the Tri-County Area.

1903
Schools: A this time there were only two schools in Windber, the Frame Elementary Building which was in the West End and the New Red Brick High School.

1905
January 25: A party of Boswell people took a sleigh ride over to Scalp Level yesterday, stopping at the Miners Home Hotel, where they were served with a fine chicken and waffle dinner. They started the return trip late in the afternoon. Those in the party were Mesdames Robert Lochrie, C. S. Jokes, Charles Livengood, C. H. Sipe, P. R. Hoisopple, H. W. Straub, A. E. Pile, D. V. McClellan, J. H. Mahaffey, I. S. Thorp and H. F. McClellan did the driving.

1908
Gridders Organized: Windber's first football team was organized in 1908.

January 1: The Windber Hospital was begun largely through the efforts of E. J. Berwind.

September 28: In the near future, Windber will have another rural mail route, which will be designated as R.D. 2, Not long ago, Lewis Baumgardner and Nathan Hoffman sent to postal authorities in Washington a petition signed by more than 290 persons who will put up mail boxes. The now route, in Cambria County, will be more than 20 miles in length.

December 12: Next Monday the Berwind-White Coal Mining Co. expects to occupy its new barn, now being erected by Windber Lumber Co. on the bank of Paint Creek, a short distance south of Somerset Avenue. It is one of the most complete structures of the kind in this section of the state. The outlay will be between $4,000.00 and 5,000.00.

December 13: Plans were approved at a meeting of the Allegheny Conference Church Extension Society of the United Brethren Church for a new edifice in Windber at an estimated expenditure of $7,000.00. The local congregation, of which the Rev. L. B. Fasick is pastor, already has raised $2,000.00. The new building will replace the present church at Graham Avenue and Ninth Street.

December 31: Improvements have been started in Windber Opera House by Charles Langer and L. E. Hiteshew, who took possession a couple days ago. M. Charnas the former manager conducted the playhouse for nearly a year.

1909
Organized Teams: Butler V. Freeman helped organize and played on Windber's first baseball team. He also helped organize football, basketball and additional baseball teams.

Swimmer Named: Windber-born Johnny Weissmuller of Fort Lauderdale, Fla. a Cambria County All-Sports Hall of Famer, has been named International commissioner of marathon swimming by the World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation. In this role, he will oversee the organization and conduct of international championship races sanctioned by the federation.

Stockholm Ave.: The Callen Baking Co. was established in Windber by James Callen Sr. His first shop was at 1832 Stockholm Ave.

January 24: Windber - A deal was closed a few days ago for the sale of the meat market of George F. Jakes to Sewell Bowser of Alum Bank. Bedford County; the lat¬ter to take charge the middle of next month, In the sale Is included a dwelling house, meat shop, stock and goodwill, The price is said to be in the neighborhood of $4,500.00.

March 1: Work on the building proper of St. Stephen's Slovak Catholic Church at Chestnut Street and Fourth Avenue is scheduled to commence about April 1, according to Overdorff Bros., the Morrellville contractor, The church is to be of stone and Is to cost $100,000.00. The Rev. John Martvon is pastor.

March 2: Dr. J. W. Hawes of Graham Avenue has been sworn in as burgess of Windber by Justice of the Peace Sell at the Municipal Building. Councilmen Watt, Buterbaugh, Adams and Lehman also took the oath of office.

March 7: Windber – Former parishioners of the Rev. N. P. Austen in this vicinity have learned that the clergyman likes it and is doing fine in California. The Rev. Mr. Austen was pastor of Windber Swedish Lutheran Church for five or six yeas before leaving for the coast. In the fall of 1907 he became pastor of a church at Oakland. California.

March 8: Windber - The four-story west End building made famous by Joseph Genter's followers in 1908, and a year later by Joseph Micagllo's proficient musical aggregation, is being remodeled from basement to roof' for residential purposes. It is owned by Wilmore Coal Co. and in a few days the woodmen's ax will tackle trees in Windber Park. Situated three squares from Graham Avenue, the park is being cleared to make way for residences. Lumberman M. E, McNeal is in charge of the clearing.

March 12: Windber's building operations the coming season promise to assume immense proportions. The boom was launched last week when the Windber Lumber Co, broke ground for the erection of 16 single houses for Wilmore Coal Co., the realty concern of Berwind-White Coal Mining Co. The dwellings will be on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh streets.

May 6: Windber - George Green, one of this community's pioneers, has retired from business and has leased his Graham Avenue storeroom to the Daher Bros. Eleven years ago, Mr. Green moved here from Patton and opened a store on Graham Avenue. He plans to remain here.

May 22: Windber - The class to be graduated at the close of the first nine-month term of the Windber Public Schools is composed of Lucille V. Adams, L. Elizabeth Algood„ Charlotte E. Baker, Cleo May Claycomb, Fay R. Morford, Mary T. Roach, L. Grace Vickroy and Harry T. Wrye. Commencement exercises will be held, in the Opera House.

June 28: Windber Council has received a new drinking fountain. It will be put into position on the brick sidewalk opposite the Municipal Building in a few days. The fountain contains five basins suitably arranged to supply water to horses, dogs, etc., as well as people.

June 29: The $50.00 cash prize given annually by the Pennsylvania Railroad to the foreman maintaining the best division on the South Fork Branch has been awarded to J. F. Barndt of Windber.

August 13: Windber Fire Company now has three teams of horses, officials announced. One team will be kept in the fire stable at all times to answer alarms. The other two teams are working on the streets of the community.

August 30: Today is the last day the price of a haircut will be 20 cents in Windber. Tomorrow the price will increase to 25 cents. The haircutting craft also has decided to close on all holidays unless they fall on Monday or Saturday.

September 1: Scalp Level - The pretty, tonic village of Scalp Level will hereafter enjoy the advantages of a picturesque park, now being laid out by Justice John II. Veil, in the northern part of the borough. The location is an ideal one. It is only a short distant from town on a new street, which Justice Veil has named “Walnut”.

September 10: Application for free mail delivery service for Windber is in the hands of the Federal Government. Assistant Postmaster C. G. Crist mailed the application, containing the signatures of Burgess John W. Haws, Postmaster A. F. Berkey and Councilmen Blaine Barefoot, R. W. Adams, Sylvester Lehman and Frank Tarr.

October 27: Windber - A new mining town is springing up on the Sarah Statler farm, Paint Township. Shortly after John Lochrie closed a deal for purchase of this tract, work was begun on an opening into the "B" vein. Mr. Lochrie has- awarded contracts for erection of six houses. The tract consists of 128 acres.

November 1: Visitors to Windber have been beyond a doubt surprised and impressed at the rapid growth of the town. New residents are moving into the place almost daily. A tract of land immediately west of town, along the south side of the trolley line, is being opened to housing. The tract, owned by Mrs. Lizzie Rodgers of Scalp Level, has been cut into lots.

November 11: Windber - Liveryman R. W. Adams has established an automobile Iine between this place and Johnstown, leaving the Palace Hotel on two trips daily.

November 15: Windber - The. first census of Windber has been completed by Harry Narros and W. H. Yost, who report 7,755 men, women and children in the borough. This census was made at the request of the burgess and town council, who had a promise of free delivery of mail by Uncle Sam it the population numbered 10,000. It is expected the Post Office Department will now deny Windber the delivery service, for the present at least. The borough was incorporated just after the census of 1900 was taken.

November 21: Windber - More than 5,000 persons, including visitors from Johnstown and neighboring towns, attended the dedication of the new SS. Cyril & Methodius' Catholic Church being erected here at the cost of $17,000.00. The exercises were in charge of Bishop Garvey of the Altoona Diocese.

December 6: Free-delivery mail service for Windber, in Congressman A. F. Cooper's district, will be installed shortly, it was announced by the Post Office Department In Washington, The census of Windber showed slightly less than 8,000 population, as against the 10,000 required by law. Windber Post Office, however, shows receipts of close to $10,000.00, which is supposed to have thrown the scale to Windber's favor.

December 12: After conducting a successful business in Windber for six years, R. W. Adams has closed a deal for the sate of the equipment of the Palace Livery on 14th Street to Samuel Lawhead and Harry Crum, both of Ashtola. Mr. Adams, a member of Borough Council, plans to devote his time to the lumber business.

December 15: Windber - The Rev. Francis Horak of St. Louis has taken charge of the new Windber Slovak Catholic Church on Graham Avenue. The building, during its erection this year, was under the supervision of the Rev. James Sass,. pastor of St. John's Roman Catholic Church. The new church cost an estimated $12,000.00.

1910
Hall Built: Windber Recreation Hall and the Windber Recreation Park was built in the same Year.

January 15: Two more Packard cars have been delivered in Johnstown. One was for M. E. McNeal of Windber and the other for H. Y. Haws of this city. Mr. Haws has departed from the standard color, as his new car has a bright red body and yellow running gear.

February 4: Grand Central Hotel, Graham Avenue and 16th Street, has been sold by Thomas Lochrie to Frank Tarr, who has conducted the hostel for the past five years. The consideration was $20,000.00. Mr. Lochrie built the Grand Central about 11 years ago. He now is interested with his brother, Hugh, in the coal business in Butler County.

April 10: During the seventh month of the Windber public schools, the gum hose - the official method of corporal punishment - was used 21 times, an average of one flogging for each teacher, Attendance averaged 90%.

May 23: Windber School Board has decided to erect an addition to the new high school building that was constructed seven years ago. The directors recently closed a deal for the purchase of the Lewis Frast property adjoining the East End school property. The consideration was $3,000. Three dwellings on the lot will be disposed of at public sale. A two-story brick structure will then be erected, providing seating capacity for 200 pupils. The new building will cost between $4,000 and $5,000.

June 26: Scalp Levels'Paint Borough School Board has elected Ray Claycomb of St. Clairsville, Bedford County, principal for the coming school year. His salary was set at $75.00 a month. Miss Grace Clapper, Paint Borough and Miss Ina Nupp, Windber, were hired as elementary teachers at $55.00 and $50.00 a month respectively.

June 30: A contract for construction of the new four-room brick building for school purposes has been awarded to S. E. Reed. The cost of the building, including the site, will be in the neighborhood of $10,000.00. Work Is expected to be completed about September.

July 15: The Windber Fire Company No. 1 was granted a charter by the Somerset County Court, S. H. Mills was the first president.

August 8: Postmaster A. F. Berkey has been notified by the Post Office Department that free mall delivery to Windber residents will go into effect October 1. It has been nearly a year since Mr. Berkey applied for the service.

August 14: The Walnut Grove Water Co. has been chartered by the state. The company, operated by A. J. Strayer, P. C. Strayer and V. E, Mineely, all of Windber, controls a number of springs on the hill overlooking Walnut Grove. Twenty-four families are served by the new outlet.

September 19: William J. Farber and William Lochrie of Windber have enrolled at the Bethlehem Preparatory School in South B6thleherri. Harry Crichton, brother of engineer Andrew B, Crichton of Westmont, and James Zimmerman, son of Mrs. Jennie Zimmerman of South Street, will leave soon to resume their studies at the same school.

September 21: Daniel Crofford, ex-school controller for the Fifth Ward, has disposed of his fire insurance agency to Ream & Huebner and will leave Johnstown for Florida to engage in the fruit raising business with his sons, Charles W. and Bashor.

September 26: The spot that was covered with a mass of ashes and ruins less than five months ago now contains a new brick Opera House with modern appointments. The structure will have a seating capacity of 800.

September 28: Within the past few years an entirely new disease of the common Chestnut tree has appeared. It is evidently spreading in all directions from the neighborhood of New York City, where it first was observed. (This was the beginning of a blight which eventually destroyed virtually every chestnut tree in this part of the country.)

September 30: All the equipment for free mail delivery has arrived here and the service will be initiated tomorrow. Assistant Postmaster C. G. Crist has gone over the routes with the carriers. Three districts will be covered three times a day by Ross A. Harclerode of Windber, T. H. McLaughlin of Johnstown and George N. Good of Somerset.

October 1: One hour and ten minutes was knocked off the Pittsburgh - to - Philadelphia overland record when S. D. Waldon, driving a Packard touring car, covered the 303 miles over the mountains between the two cities in 12 hours and 51 minutes. The previous record of 14 hour and one minute was made by Mr. Waldon in 1908, The first 175 miles of this trip is entirely over mountains, and the road is a particularly difficult one on account of the poor condition of the highway, which is an old stage route.
Mr. Harclorode entered the employ of the government as a carrier at the local post office. Ross A. Harclorode, senior clerk in the local post office, has been appointed acting postmaster, under a presidential commission serving in that capacity until becoming a clerk in 1918, D. J, Moore is the retiring post master.

November 18: Harrisburg - A charter has been issued to the Superior Coal Co. of Windber capitalized at $10,000.00. Incorporators are John Lochrie and W. D. and Margaret J. McCausland. The mine of the superior Coal Co. is situated near Krings Station. About 200 men will be employed. The drift has been opened and the tipple erected.

November 28: The Windber Ministerial Association was formed at a meeting in the Presbyterian Church with the election of the Rev. A. A. Hilleary, pastor of the United Evangelical Church as president. The Rev. J. A. Richter of the Scalp Level Lutheran Charge was elected vice president; the Rev. C. E. Ludwig, Presbyterian Church, secretary, and the Rev. David Adorns. Scalp Level Church of the Brethren treasurer.

December 1: Johnstown has another airship inventor and the machine he has produced is along a line entirely different from any of those that have been in successful use either by American or European aviators. The inventor is Charles Kochalko of 212 Union Street, the well-known interpreter. The machine is a combination helicopter, or lifting type, and aero plane type.
John Lochrie of Windber has been appointed consulting agent for the Maryland Coal Co., which has headquarters in New York City. The firm operates mines in the St. Michael area.

December 15: The Meyers family sawmill has been removed from near Ebensburg to the farm of the late John Nearenberger in Windber and Paint Township for the purpose of cutting the beech and hemlock timber. There is about 100,000 feet of timber on the farm. Simon Naugle and S. W, Kunkle are cutting the timber into logs and David Reed has the logging contract.

December 16: Scalp Level - At a meeting of the Scalp Level and Paint Borough Volunteer Fire Company, the chief marshal and his two assistants were elected for another year. G. B. Baumgardner is marshal. His assistants are J. L. Hoffman and E. J. Wissinger.

December 19: Robert M. Gochnour of Windber and J. G. Foley of Johnstown have assumed the management of the new Windber Opera House on Graham Avenue, Mr. Foley also operates the Globe Theater in Johnstown, and Mr. Gochnour operates the Merry Widow Theater in the Post Office Building In Windber.

1911
January 22: The Economy Telephone Co. which now practically covers all the rural districts of Somerset County with the exception of northeastern portions is extending its lines in that direction. The present terminal is at the residence of Charles Naugle, three miles south of Hollsopple in Quemahoning Township. A line is being extended to Hollsopple to connect with the lines of the Windber Telephone Co.

February 8: Peter L. Livengood, editor of the biggest newspaper in Somerset County - The Windber Era - has been appointed clerk to the state legislative committee on railroads and private secretary to the chairman of that committee. He will spend part of his time in Harrisburg while the legislature is in session.

February 10: The Windber Lumber Co. of which W.T. Geddes is superintendent has been awarded the contract for the erection of extensive car shops at Newport News, Va., one of the largest shipbuilding ports of the United States.

February 19: For the first time, attendance has passed the 1,000 mark in Windber public schools, according to a report by E.A. Hower, supervising principal.

February 23: Count Saverio Rannzzy of Italy has arrived in Windber for a few weeks' visit with the Rev. Angelo Leone, pastor of St. Anthony's Catholic Church. The count and the priest were close friends in Europe.

February 26: The 10th anniversary banquet of Windber Fire Company No. 1 will be held in Fireman's Hall, in the municipal building.

March 11: Scalp Level - In the presence of a congregation that filled Mt. Zion Lutheran Church, the Rev. J. A. Richer formally was installed as pastor.

March 9: Contractor J.E. Reed has started work on the new United Brethren Church at Graham Avenue and Ninth Street, expected to be one of the finest churches in the community.

April 15: The Rev. C. C. Ludwig has announced his resignation as pastor of the Presbyterian Church, effective April 23. He and his family will leave shortly for Hamilton City, Calif., where the Rev. Ludwig has accepted a call to serve a Presbyterian Church.

April 21: Uncle Sam has bettered the mail facilities in Windber by placing at advantageous points 27 new boxes. Postmaster A. F. Berkey and his assistant, C. G. Crist, have completed the job of putting up the boxes.

April 22: Supervisors of Paint Township have received a new stone crusher, one of the best on the market, which will be used in road making the coming summer. Paint Township is one of the foremost districts in Somerset County in construction of good roads.

June 26: Rumors arc current In Windber regarding, a movement to stop baseball playing on Sunday in Somerset County, The matter is to be brought before the Lutheran Sunday School Association of Somerset County when it convenes at Scalp Level.

May 13: About a dozen members of the Johnstown Motorcycle Club are planning a trip to Bedford, The journey is considered to be quite a test for motorcycles because the route is very rough and is 38 miles long. A hill-climbing contest between a motorcycle and an automobile created intense excitement in the Fourth Ward and established the superiority of the lighter machine in negotiating hills. The scene of the contest was the hillside road leading up through Meier's Hollow from Bedford Street to Daisytown. Carl Hack, on the motorcycle reached the top in good order. Then the automobile, driven by James Schnabel, was given the test. The car gave a good account of it, but failed to reach the top and the motorcycle was declared the winner.

June 4: During a severe electrical storm, lightning struck the tipple at Mine 35 of the Berwind-White Coal Co. and it was burned to the ground. Loss was set at $25,000.00.

June 7: James Powell of Scalp Level is to be rewarded by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company for his act of bravery on May 31. On that day the S. & C. passenger train was running at high speed along the Walsall straight line. Engineer W. F. Payee saw a boy on the tracks frantically waving his cap. When the train stooped, young Powell climbed into the cab and said that a large tree and a quantity of rock and earth had been washed onto the tracks just around the curve.

August 2: Corn selling at 15 cents a dozen, blackberries and huckleberries at $1.25 a bucket, and apples at $1.00 a bushel were some of the features of the local market this morning.

September 20: Beware, you housewives, and don't let the sugar bowl fall, for the sweet stuff is as precious as gold. Sugar is selling at eight cents a pound, or $2.00 for 25 pounds, Last summer a 25 pound sack could be had for $1.40 or $1.50.

September 29: The Berwind-White Coal Mining Co. has begun the replacing of 16 poles that had been cut down near Elton recently by persons who objected to having a heavy voltage of electrify passing near their lands. The company to building a power line in its newly acquired plant at St., Michael.
Sugar is going up, also some other things, but there is one consolation - Johnstown is one of the cheapest places on earth in which to buy good soft coal.

1912
Scout Organized: Windber's first Boy Scout troops were organized, J. H. Burst was the first scoutmaster of Troop 1. C. E. Watts was scoutmaster of Troop 2, organized a few months after the first unit.

January 31: Young's Ice Co. in a few days will begin harvesting the third crop of ice on its pond at Middletown. More that 1,000 tons already are in the icehouse.

March 10: Sugar makers to Shade Township are looking for a short season. Russell Lambert opened his sugar camp in Crab Valley a few days ago, but the weather thus far has been unfavorable for the flow of sap.

March 22: This house at 601 15th St., Windber, has been selected for development into a museum, according to officials of the Windber Museum Committee. The structure is now owned by the borough, which, will deed it over to a nonprofit organization to be formed to organize and operate the museum. It is the oldest house it the borough, according to a committee spokesman, it was owned by David J. Shaffer, who built it in 1869. According to the committee spokesman, the museum will be developed in conjunction with the borough's 75th anniversary, but it will not be closed down after the celebration. The committee will hold a public meeting at 7:30pm today at the Windber Municipal Building. The temporary officers are Edwin Barefoot, chairman; Paul Shaffer, vice chairman; George Higgins, secretary; Helen Steel, assistant secretary and Sara Swartz, treasurer.

April 10: Early in the season much fear was expressed that the maple sugar crop of Somerset County would be an unusually short one, but with the season over and the product now being marketed it has become evident the output will be about average. Maple sugar is retailing in the Somerset market at 12¢ a pound and maple syrup at $1.00 per gallon
American Indians taught early colonists how to make maple syrup, and today it still is produced only in the United States and Canada. From 40 to 50 gallons of tree sap are boiled down to get one gallon of the rich syrup.

1916
Beginning of Rietz: John Lochric opened several mines in the Central City area under the name of The Rietz Coal Co.

1917
Field Improved: Dewey Field was improved and enlarged and is now known as Delaney Field.

1918
First Scoutmaster Joseph Olsen was the first scoutmaster of Scalp Level's first Boy Scout troop.

1919
Brewery Absorbed: Because of the abundance of pure mountain water, the Windber Brewing Co, was established and operated until 1919, when the making of alcohol was forbidden by law. After the law was repealed, the company was absorbed by outside interests.

January 25: Lt. Floyd Hoenstine of Company C, 55th Infantry, 7th Division, ABF, arrived at Newport News, Va. Saturday from France and is on route to spend a 10-day leave here with his parents. Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Hoenstine. Lt. Hoenstine has been in the service 18 mouths and was wounded twice while on front line duty in France.

November 18: William Haddad of this community, one of the best motorcycle speedsters to Western Pennsylvania, has made a very creditable showing in races during the past few weeks. The local racer holds the motorcycle championship for Cambria and Somerset counties.

1921
February 6: The new theater in Windber, to be known as the Arcadia, is being pushed by the contractors and they hope to have it open in a few weeks.

June 15: The monument erected in Sandyvale Cemetery to the memory of George W. Statler, former member of Vestal Camp 23, Woodmen of the World, will be unveiled with appropriate ceremonies.
Windber Borough Council, of which Blaine Barefoot is president, installed on the top of the municipal building on Graham Avenue, at a distance of 84 feet from the pavement, a large red light which will be used at night as a police signal.

July 13: Scalp Level - Members of the Scalp Level United Evangelical Church are planning to erect a $25,000.00 brick house of worship at Buettman's corner in the near future.

September 4: Members of General Charles T. Menoher Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars, have beer, advised of the appointment of the Rev. Morgan A. McDermott of Windber as chaplain of the State Encampment, VFW.

September 10: Windber public school officials at the close of the first week's session find the rooms crowded to capacity. Enrollment has reached 2,250 pupils, with more children expected to enroll next week.

September 18: The Johnstown High School football team will open its 1921 season by meeting the Windber High School eleven on Delaney Field, Windber.

September 25: The new road between Windber and Johnstown will be open to traffic.

October 21: The American Legion Drum Corps of Windber by faithful practice has progressed far enough to assure its initial appearance in the Armistice Day parade here. The organization now has eleven drummers and eight buglers.

1922
January 31: For the fourth successive year Windber Hospital has received a Class A rating from the state board, the highest any medical Institution can obtain.

February 4: Roxey Roach, well-known Windber baseball player and sportsman, is through with professional baseball. Roach has been in the big show and also has played in the Class AA minors. If he does not accept a semi-proposition this summer, he will take charge of his Business interests in Windber.

February 7: Windber ranks among the highest of the critics and towns of the country in the matter of postal savings, according to a report of the Post Office Department at Washington. Windber's deposits total $144,555.00.

February 19: An auxiliary to Windber Post 137 American Legion has been organized with Mrs. J. B. Smith as president, Mrs. M. E. McNeal as vice president, Mrs. B. A. Nevling is secretary and Mrs. George Harding as treasurer. The auxiliary starts off with a membership of 40.

April, 24: Music Week is being celebrated in Windber this week. Such soloists as; Joseph Sheriff, Roy Grambling and Miss Luella Hartman. In addition to the Windber Male Chorus, will be heard at the Arcadia Theater.

May 15: With a minors' strike entering upon its seventh week and the demand for coal considerably on the increase, the price has started to jump and now is $4.50 or $4.75 for the better grades of bituminous mineral in this territory. The price represents an advance of $1.50 to $1.75 a ton above the figures charted the last week in April.

1928
September 26: At a meeting of the Orpheus Glee Club of Windber, Joseph H. Sheriff was elected president, G. R. Stringer is vice president and W. R. Yarnell is secretary / treasurer. Thomas H. Harris is the director of the singing group.

1929
November 10: Series II of the Pennsylvania Archives hits been added to the library of Daughters of the American Revolution through the generosity of Mrs. Scott Dibert, life member of Quemahoning Chapter. These volumes and others, including the colonial records, have been placed in Cambria Library, Johnstown.

1930
November 21: Charles Katter has been elected president of the Mt. Lebanon American Club of this place, M. G. George has been named vice president; George Solomon, secretary; K, Haddad, treasurer, and C. G. Abood, George J. Daher and Joseph McKool, executive committee members, the club has as its purpose promotion of good fellowship and closer relationship among those who are natives of the historical, Biblical land of Lebanon.

1931
Whalley Recalls Hindenburg Flight: More than 35 years ago, on August 9, 1938, U.S. Rep. J. Irving Whalley of Windber rode the zeppelin Hindenburg from Lakehurst, N.J. to Frankfurt, Germany, a trip that took about 50 hours.
"That trip holds very special meaning for me," the congressman said, "because it was made before Atlantic Ocean passenger plane service was inaugurated and shortly before the Hindenburg exploded above the Lakehurst air field and was destroyed.
"The Zeppelin Hindenburg was the largest dirigible ever made. It was 808 feet long, the equivalent of three city blocks, and 145 feet high, or about as tall as a 14-story building, Four 1,100 horsepower engines powered the Zeppelin the 4,200-mile distance In about 50 hours, extraordinarily fast for that time,"
Mr. Whalley recalled a particularly memorable Incident on that trip. "There was a catwalk, 15 inches wide, around the Zeppelin. When we were halfway across the Atlantic, about 1,000 feet above it, I stepped out onto the catwalk with nothing between me and the Atlantic Ocean except 15 inches of aluminum and nothing to hold onto. It was quite an experience,"
The Zeppelin Hindenburg consisted of an aluminum frame with a silk cover. When it exploded in May, 1937, it was destroyed in 32 seconds.
"I will always remember that flight," Mr. Whalley said. "It' was a once-in-a lifetime experience, and I am glad I was there to take part."

March 8: The Rev. Clarence Melin, pastor of First Lutheran Church, has returned from Brooklyn, N. Y. where he assisted in the organization of the Eastern District of the Association of English Lutheran Churches of the Augustana Synod, He was elected vice president of the organization.

April 22: R. M, Mullen was appointed general manager of the Wilmore Coal Co. at a tweeting of the board of directors.
A spring blizzard which swept over Cambria and Somerset counties resulted in extensive damage to telephone lines and hampered traffic on many of the main highways. The storm left a blanket of snow ranging from four to seven inches in depth.

April 22: The Rev. John S. Gernat, a native of Windber, has been ordained to the priesthood in Ungvar, Hungary. Father Gernat is a graduate of Windber High School and was drum major of the local high school band during the time he was a student here. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. William Gernat of 505 Eighteenth Street.

1932
March 30: Harold J. Weigle, a Windber High School football star of several years ago and more recently a gridiron luminary at Albright College, will return home next season to assume a place on the faculty of Windber High school and to become assistant football coach.

1940
Consider the changes we have witnessed:
  • We were before television, before penicillin, before polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox®, contact lenses and THE PILL. Before radar, credit cards, shopping centers, supermarkets, split atoms, laser beams, and ball point pens. Before drip-dry clothes, and before A MAN WALKED ON THE MOON
  • .
  • We got married first and THEN lived together-how quaint can you be? In our times, closets were for clothes, not for " coming out of". Bunnies were small rabbits and rabbits were not Volkswagens. Designer Jeans were scheming girls named lean or Jeanne, and having a meaningful relationship meant getting along well with our cousins.
  • We thought fast foods was what you ate during Lent, and outer space was the back of the Arcadia Theater.
  • We were before house husbands, gay rights, computer dating, dual careers and computer marriages. We were before day-care centers, group therapy, and nursing homes. We never heard of FM radio, tape decks, electric typewriters, artificial hearts, word processors, yogurt, and guys wearing earrings. For us, time sharing meant togetherness-not computers or condominiums, a chip meant a piece of wood; hardware meant hardware; and software wasn't even a word.
  • MADE IN JAPAN meant JUNK and the term making out referred to how you did on an exam. Pizzas', MacDonald’s and instant coffee were unheard of.
  • We hit the scene when there were Five & Ten Cent stores where you bought things for 5 and 10¢. Ice cream cones sold for a dime. For a nickel, you could ride a street car, make a phone call, and buy a Pepsi® or enough stamps to mail one letter and two postcards. You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600.00, but who could afford one? A pity too, because gas was only 11¢ a gallon.
  • In our day, cigarette smoking was fashionable, GRASS was mowed, COKE was a cold drink and POT was something you cooked in. ROCK MUSIC was Grandma's lullaby and AIDS were helpers in the Principal's office.
  • We were certainly not before the differences between the sexes was discovered but we were surly before sex-change, we made due with what we had. And we were the last generation that was so dumb as to think you needed a husband to have a baby.
  • No wonder we are so confused and there is such a generation gap today! BUT WE SURVIVED! What better reason to celebrate?

1941
October 5: Arrangements have been made for handling a record breaking crowd at the Point Stadium when Johnstown and Windber High School meet in their 21st football contest of their series.

1942
February 9: A dedicatory service will be held in Windber Methodist Church, when an original painting, "The Christ of Gethsemane," by Lawrence L, Whitaker, will be presented to the church by a lay leader, Walter Meek, on behalf of the trustees. The picture is the gift of the artist-member, Mr. Whitaker, and was given to the Church in honor of the founders of the congregation and in memory of his own father, Matthias Whitaker, aged 85, of Reynoldsville.

1946
December 3: Up to now, 291,856,300,000 pounds of coal had been shipped from Windber mines. This equals a train of 50-ton railroad cars 19,057 miles long, or a distance equal to the circumference of the earth at the 40th parallel.

1951

October 6: Two men who opened the night at the head of the Yankee Stadium bleacher line jointly claim the honor of being "world champion World Series fans." 13. J. (Barney) Dever is 80 years old, but as soon as he left yesterday's game he set himself up in front of the box office for today's game. flight behind him came Roy Paul, who is 51. Dever is from Windber. Paul is from Des Moines, Dever is one of Windber's best known firemen. He marked his 80th birthday by attending the series opener.

1952

May 13: Miss Jane Klemstine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Klemstine, 911 Grove Avenue, is the sweetheart of Sigma Chi of Dickinson College, Carlisle. She was presented two dozen white roses and a locket inscribed "Sweetheart of Sigma Chi, 1952-53." Presentation was made by the president of the fraternity. Miss Klemstine will be graduated in June from Hood College, Frederick, Md

1967
February 13: Mr. Weissmuller, a native of Windber, was inducted into the Cambria County. War Memorial hall of Fame. He also is a member of the Pennsylvania Swimming Hall of Fame, at Pennsylvania State University.

1972
Officers of the Last Man's Club opened a time capsule sealed in 1947 during Windber's 50th anniversary celebration in preparation for the diamond jubilee of the community. They were Merle Heckler, secretary-treasurer; Joseph Aldstadt, first vice president; and Edwin Barefoot, president. The Last Man's Club is made up of the 22 members of the general committee of Windber's observance 25 years ago.
The 75th anniversary celebration will be conducted July 2nd thru 8th with numerous events being planned, including at least five parades. The lime capsule contains items dealing with Windber's first 50 years. Club members will study the capsule items and place them in the Windber Museum, being readied for opening during this summer's celebration.

Tarzan Unhappy: Johnny Weissmuller, the former U, S, 01ympic swimming champion and star of the Tarzan movies for 12 years in the 1930s and 1940s, is hot enjoying life in a Florida concrete Jungle as he thought he would a year ago.
The Windber native, who was inducted into the Cambria County War Memorial Hall of Fame in 1967, has accused the management of the Tropical Wonderland at Titusville, near Cape Kennedy, of charging high prices, flooding the land and abusing its animals.
Last month the 66-year-old Fort Lauderdale resident disassociated himself from the attraction which he said was not feeling its animals. Tropical Wonderland has a jungle train, a boat cruise, a snake house, a pet zoo, a see-the-chimp show, a pirate show, a dance act and an elephant show.

2006

December 06 - Thousands without power in Johnstown
A good chunk of Johnstown plunged into darkness this morning. 23-hundred customers loosing power just after 7:30 this morning Penelec spokesperson Murphy Montlier telling Fox out they had an equipment malfunction which basically brought down a main line. Homes and businesses like Sheetz and the YMCA all loosing their service. Kernville, Hornerstown and parts of dale borough all affected. Stop signs had to be brought in to help control traffic at nearly a dozen intersections. Montlier says they were able to reroute the electricity - and all 23-hundred customers were back on by 9:30pm.

December 06 - Pennsylvania turnpike for sale?
With a billion and a half dollars worth of problems a year on Pennsylvania highways and mass transit governor Ed Rendell puts the for sale sign up on the Pennsylvania turnpike. The states toll road is available for lease as well and just how much money such a deal will bring in will determine whether or not the state pulls the trigger. The plan is pretty straight forward. Sell or lease the turnpike, take the money from that deal and invest it, then take the interest as revenue and use it to maintain state roads and mass transit systems that are in a state of disrepair. While there is no actual sale or lease in place Rendell indicated a number of groups have approached the state on the deal. He also wants to get final quotes by the 22nd of this month and to be able to put it before the state legislature in January. Road monstrance, employee protection and rate increase in tolls all to be issues that will be negotiated as part of any deal. According to the governor the state faces maintenance costs of 965 million dollars a year for state owned roads as well as another 700 million in maintenance for mass transit.

December 06 - Fire breaks out in elk county apartment building.
A developing story out of elk county - fire fighters still on the scene of a fire in the city of St. Mary’s here what we know right now - the blaze broke out at around 5:30am at a building known as the resale shop along north St Marys street. St Marys' police tell Fox 8 -four different fire companies’ from across Elk County are battling the fire. The building has several apartments on the upper level and the lower level once housed a lumber company. No word if there have been any injuries - the Red Cross is on scene assisting those displaced by the fire.

December 07 - Coach attacked by board member in Windber.
An alleged assault of a basketball coach may force the resignation of a school board member in Somerset County. County 911 has confirmed that they had to dispatch paint township police to the Windber elementary school around 6:30 last night for an assault completed. Fox eight has now confirmed that the Jr. High basketball coach was allegedly attacked by a parent in the coach's office. The alleged attacker however wasn't just a parent but - school board member Tim harridan. Harridan, who is also a teacher at the Westmont school district, was already gone for the day when we tried to contact him about the alleged incident. Sources close to the matter say the board member was unhappy about how the coach was utilizing his child on the team. There are supposed to be a number of witnesses to the attack. The fact that it was a school function on school property with the victim being an employee of the district raises the very real possibility that harridan will have to resign from the board or face removal.

December 07 - Burglary targets Cambria County home.
A frightening discovery for a Cambria county couple. It happened over night in Nanty Glo. Police say the mom and dad came home to find that their front door had been pried open. But that wasn't the part that caused so much concern. It was few minutes later that they found someone sleeping in their child's bed. Here’s a look at the suspected burglar. Police say 52-year-old Robert William snide used a 4-foot pipe to pry their front door open. The doorknob was bent and dented.They don't believe he stole anything - but rather climbed into their toddler’s bed and went to sleep.Snedden is now facing charges of criminal mischief and criminal trespass...he is spending the night in jail.

December 07 - Major pileup on I-80 in Centre County.
Weather conditions also responsible for shutting down portions of interstate 80 this afternoon. A 15 car accident closing the eastbound section of the highway just before four o'clock. It happened around mile marker 140 near the border of centre and Clearfield counties. At least three injuries reported - though none serious. State police on scene detoured traffic for several hours while crews worked to clear the wreckage.

December 07 - Altoona fire ruled accidental
Authorities in Blair County rule a weekend apartment fire accidental. Flames broke out early Saturday morning in the Altoona apartment complex along Broad Avenue when one of the residents left their stove unattended while cooking. It took firefighters nearly two hours to put out the blaze. No one was injured - but damages to the building total 150 thousand dollars - with another 30 thousand dollars worth of damages to the contents of the apartments.

December 07 - Trial continues in Blair county for men accused of running drug lab.
The trial continues for 2 men charged with running Meth labs. Michell poor man and John Wolf are charged with cooking methamphetamines in doorman’s anti’s township trailer and Wolfs Altoona home. 7 guns were also seized from wolfs house. During an unrelated call back in 2004 - police noticed chemicals used to make the Meth at poor man’s. Police say poor man also let his toddler child around the dangerous chemicals. The trial is expected to wrap up tomorrow.

December 08 - Massive crash on PA turnpike.
A Lancaster woman is dead tonight and several are injured after dozens of accidents along the turnpike with in a near one mile stretch in Bedford County. Investigators say 54-year-old Gloria Cunningham died when the car she was driving lost control due to weather conditions around 3:30pm yesterday afternoon in Juniata Township. State police say Cunningham’s crash caused a chain reaction forcing 53 vehicles to crash between mile markers 138 and 132. They say 12 tractor trailers and 41 passenger vehicles were involved in creating the huge nightmare. Police also say 10 others were hurt with injuries ranging from serious to minor. The west bound lanes reopened around 11:30pm last night between Breezewood and New Stanton.

December 09 - Somerset county fire destroys newly remodeled home.
An early morning fire in Somerset County has left one family homeless. Seven fire departments responded to the blaze which began at approximately 1:30am Saturday. No injuries were reported as the house was vacant at the time of the fire. The family, who has yet to be identified, was in the process of moving their belongings into the home. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. A state police fire marshal will arrive on scene on Monday.

December 09 - Windber property tax increase proposal.
A 10% property tax increase is moving towards approval in Windber. Windber’s 1.17 million dollar general fund will considered for approval Tuesday evening in the council's chambers. Total expenses are expected to increase by more than 68-thousand dollars. Causes for the tax hike are health insurance as well as fuel and flood damage expenses. The 2007 budget includes an increase of 22% for healthcare and a 64% increase for heating fuels.

December 09 - Fatal fire in Somerset County.
A fire in Somerset County leaves one man dead. The fire broke out yesterday afternoon at a home along Ross Street in Central City. Once on scene Central City fire officials say they were able to contain the blaze, however one of the homeowners did not survive. Officials say the victim did make it out of the house but was found dead on the front porch. His wife was at the grocery store. Windber and Somerset fire departments also responded to the call.

December 09 - Fatal car accident in Paint Township.
One person is dead and another sent to the hospital after a two-car accident in Paint Township. 14 year old Nicholas Benton is dead after the vehicle he was riding in struck a disabled vehicle on Horn road yesterday afternoon. The collision caused Benton to be ejected from the vehicle. He was transported by ambulance to Conemaugh medical center where he was pronounced dead at 2:00pm. Cause of death has been listed as multiple blunt force injuries.

December 10 - Christmas celebration at Roxbury Bandshell.
Local tree lighting kicks of the holidays. Community members crowded around the Roxbury Bandshell in Johnstown as a 34 foot tree laced with more than 3600 lights was set aglow and it wouldn’t be Christmas without carolers – who entertained the crowd with songs everyone knows and loves. Even Santa clause was able to make a surprise visit.

December 10 - Johnstown church celebrates 100th a historic and spiritual anniversary.
The Immaculate Conception church in Johnstown’s Cambria City is100 years old. To honor the milestone – the congregation joined together for a special mass yesterday afternoon – priests from all over the region attending. The church – built in 1906 – has survived floods – fires and storms – but it’s still standing and many believe that’s a testament of faith and the community.


Hauntings Facts of Johnstown, Pennsylvania

A coal miner from the early 1900's walks the base of the Inclined Plane hillside. Several years ago a boy reported seeing a coal miner with early 1900's gear on walking the hiking trail at the base of the Inclined Plane. In 1902 a mine explosion killed 115 miners in this same area.
Bishop McCort High School - It is said that if you go into former teacher’s room and turn out the lights and say "good morning Deac" 3 times then he appears on the chalkboard and grants you 3 wishes. Good luck to all.
Brown's Cemetery - This secluded cemetery has been host to many strange sightings and occurrences. People have reported seeing an elderly couple walking around the trees by the pond. Strange noises and lights in the woods have also been observed. An isolated wind has been felt blowing around the old headstones, while the air is calm around the pond and surrounding area.
Croyleton Stables - It's Somerset Pike, horse farm. A caretaker was killed in the late 1800's. He was kicked in the head by a horse and shortly thereafter died. He still inhabits the barn and lower field. On summer nights you can hear horses neighing and then a scream. You can also see him wandering around occasionally.
Chandler School - The school was shut down around 1990-91.It is said to be haunted by a janitor that was doing one of his many jobs and a board fell from the ceiling and killed him. It is also said to be haunted by a little boy who had an asthma attack during lunch one day. Lights still turn on and off and there is no electricity. December 2006 Additional Information: There always had stories of the janitor that haunted the halls. There was an old wall-piano that was supposed to be sent to the local High School. One day, it was sitting on a landing. The next day, it was in shambles at the bottom of the stairs. Chandler has since been reopened. It is an apartment building for elderly folks.
Conemaugh Valley High School - When the school was built, it was built on an old cemetery. Several bodies were moved to accommodate the building. Several stories persist such as lights turning off and on by themselves. Custodial workers report strange noises like whistling and humming when no one else is in the building. Several students participating in extracurricular activities have reported seeing strange apparitions which seemingly just vanish or walk through walls. During school hours, doors will slam shut by themselves and lockers will fly open. Apparitions have also been reported in the football field and student parking lots.
Crum Cemetery - Said to be haunted if you turn your car off on the second bridge of the path that leads to it you wont be able to start it again there is an image of a carriage that rides through at night.
Forest Lawn Cemetery - An apparition of a woman in a white dress has been reported to be seen walking through the cemetery at night.
Former Abood, Russel, Pappas & Rozich Law Office - Many reports of occurrences happened at the law office, such as doors slamming by themselves, alarms going of from the inside when only one person was in the building, and areas of "fog". There ahve been a few people who have witnessed a young lady dressed in blue. The restaurant that was there after the law office relocated because of these hauntings also reported radios shutting off by themselves. The building is on its 107th year.
Greater Johnstown High School - A janitor was killed in the auditorium of Johnstown High School because he fell from the balcony. Some students have seen the janitor or someone walking around. Doors shut, seats creak and no one is in the room. Under the stage are rooms. When you go under, you can hear someone on the steps and doors slam.
Ideal Market - people that work here have reported putting things some where in the store and it disappearing and reappearing somewhere else. This has happened on quite a few occasions.
Laura wood Nursing Home - Reports of ghostly apparitions have been seen roaming this hall and therapy room at the end of the hall way. Someone pounding on windows have been reported through out the facility.
Lower Yoder TWN - In the forest across from D St. & Norton RD. Children & Adults hear voices, whistling, and unexplainable noises. And sometimes see glows in the night which people call orbs. Local people sometimes walk through the forest and follow paths and come out just terrified but like something wants them to go back. Some people think its workers from the old coal mines or just spirits wondering.
North Fork Dam - There have been many sightings of ghosts behind the dam where the graveyard is. People have been hung and shot in this deep, wooded area. Always makes your hair stand on end when you're around.
University of Pittsburgh - American Indian spirits are seen in areas adjacent to soccer fields. Rumor has it that prior to building of the school there was an Indian Burial Mound, similar to others in that vicinity.
University of Pittsburgh - Briar 2 - On the bottom floor in the far rooms there was repeating occurrences of a ghost. Printers would start printing pictures of girls in the house, faucets would mysteriously turn on, and one girl heard a man talking while she was sleeping when there was nobody around. Strange white circles are said to have showed up in pictures as well.
University of Pittsburgh - Laurel Hall & Oak Hall, Oak Hall and Laurel Halls as well as the woods surrounding the campus all have had strange happenings. Oak and Laurel were supposedly built on an Indian burial ground; the stretch between the two scares some people so much that they will not walk it at night; drums have been heard around here. Laurel was exercised in 1986 after a knife flew across the room and stuck in the a door by itself. In the woods there is a small cemetery and a ghost of a small girl has been seen walking around its vicinity.
University of Pittsburgh - The Living and Learning Center, Woodland Townhouse, and Briar Lodge - All five of these buildings on campus have had repots of apparitions, and strange sounds.
University Of Pittsburgh - Oak Hall - Drums can be heard off in the distance as well as chanting. Whispers calling out the name Allison and Abby can sometimes be heard.

Main Page | Features | FAQ | Special | Contact Us

For more information:
Mike Pristow
mike@pristowweb.com
© Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved.